Sunday, July 22, 2007

My new project


I stumbled across a garage sale in town on Saturday, which included a collection of old rotary dial telephones, and some chunky old fans. I picked up this heavy specimen, and proceeded to spend the afternoon taking it to pieces.






A project like this needs a good beer, and the big heavy bombardier pint was just the brew.



This was a fan that was built to last forever. A heavy, cast metal body that dismantles easily, brass resivouirs for axil grease and access holes for oil droppers.

Lots of nice brass gogs, gears and slidy bits, and a few steampunk/biotech casemod ideas start floating around in some unused part of brain.


Some big chunky solenoids (even more useful if I can get them out of the metal frame in one piece).


The osciliating mechanics revealed. Big smile when I saw this.

Might be time to break out the Google Sketchup tutorials.

1 comment:

leonie.wise said...

how *very* cool! can't wait to see it when we land.